Sunday 11 July 2010

The Joys of July !

The days of June have flown by and I hope my suggestions were of some help ! July is well and truly under way and I must apologise for this belated blog but I've just come back from two weeks of sunbathing and drinking unlimited amounts of gin, in Sharm El Sheikh ! So here's what I think should be your Joys of July !

1) If you go to one bar, go to Epernay ! This ever so stylish champagne and cocktail bar with its relaxed atmosphere is located in the fairly new Great North Tower, Watson Street, Manchester. Epernay serves over 130 different champagnes and more than 80 cocktails. I'm always spolit for choice when I go and should try something new but I stick to what I like best and have Mojitos ! 





2) If you're going to download a song, get Katy Perry Featuring Snoop Dogg - California Gurls ! Already climbing its way up the iTunes Singles Chart, this song is the perfect summer holiday song ! The song is highly catchy and contagious, unfortunately I can't explain why its 'California Gurls' and not California Girls but I'm sure there's a reason behind the misspelling ! The video is definitely worth watching - bizarrely a mixture of Hansel and Gretel, Sex and The Wizard of Oz ! Funniest moment in the video must be the gummy bear giving Perry the finger ! Katy Perry Feat, Snoop Dogg - California Gurls ! Watch Me !

3) If you do one thing this month, go on holiday ! We are well and truly in the midst of Summertime, even if the weather doesn't agree ! So I'd recommend escaping the doom and gloom of rainy Manchester for a week, 10 days or if you're lucky two weeks ! I was one of the lucky ones and travelled to Sharm El Sheikh for two weeks of all inclusive alcohol, food, sun and relaxtion ! 



In a previous blog I posted called 'Sex and the City 2: Fashion Forward Heat Survival Guide', I wrote about my worry and almost fear of not being able to mix extensive heat with style ! Luckily I think I pulled this off, with my favourite outfit being a light weight cotton animal print jumpsuit which I wore with a small patent black waist belt and a straw over the shoulder bag ! 



Unfortunately after this picture was taken I accidentally fell over and put a hole in both my knee and in the jumpsuit ! R.I.P Jumpsuit you will be missed !

4) If you buy one skincare product, buy Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturising Lotion ! 



I am an avid Clinique fan, and use both their skincare range and make up range. The moisturising lotion is a god send and not only can you use it on your face but as a body lotion to ! When applying fake tan I always mix a small amount of the lotion with my tanning cream to 1) hide the fake tan smell 2) stop me looking orange, giving me a more natural look and 3) adding extra moisture as some fake tans can dry out the skin.

5) If you could only have one drink this month, make it a Pimms and Lemonade ! I was never a fan of Pimms and Lemonade purely because I have a worrying addiction to Gin ! However, at a recent BBQ my friend Katie bought a bottle of Pimms round and well lets just say I have a newly found love for Pimms O'Clock ! 





Unfortunately, when we tried Pimms and Lemonade we were unprepared as the suggested way of drinking Pimms is with three parts Schweppes lemonade, with ice and garnished with mint and bits of orange, cucumber and strawberry. It truly is a British summer drink !

6) If you download one iPhone app, purchase style.com ! The online fashion website which provides the latest in all sections of fashion; trends, news, blogs, and runway shows is now available for your iPhone. The easy to use application allows you to easily and leisurely scroll through complete collections of every major collection, watch exclusive runway videos and read the latest fashion blogs and news from around the globe. My favourite part of this app is the 'look of the day' where you get the chance to vote on celebrity style ! To my surprise when i discovered this application, it's free ! 

 


7) If you go and watch one film, go and see The Twilight Saga - Eclipse ! The third installment of Stephanie Mayer's worldwide best selling books has been on everyones minds since seeing New Moon, where at the end Edward Cullen proposes to Bella ! Major cliffhanger for those who haven't read the book yet ! 


So for all you twi-hard/twilighter fans, have you decided who's team your on yet ? Edward ? Jacob ? Or Riley ? 

8) If you follow one trend this month, it has to be stripes ! Make stripes a dominant feature of your outfit and you're well on the way, from nautical colours to clashing with other prints. Don't think of Stripes as just a clothing trend: you can work them into any part of an outfit (just not all at once!). Stripes can dominate an outfit in everything from hats to killer mini-dresses ! 



While Summer's navy and white striped fashion trend isn't a true take on navy inspired fashion, it's likely to appeal to those who are in to the nautical aesthetic. If that's you and you're after some inspiration look to Anja Rubik's sailor inspiration from the June 2010 issue of Vogue Korea. The shoot utilises the season's stripe trend in the form of a dominant blazer, but takes the nautical motifs to far less subtle proportions.


9) If you do any shopping, shop at Laura Jane Vintage Clothing ! Not only did I feel the need to help out a fellow fashion student but I had to make everyone aware of this website and its must have clothing and accessories ! Laura Jane, is a talented twenty three year old fashion design graduate who set up this online boutique selling vintage clothing, accessories and her own one off designs ! The ever so stylish website allows you to peruse through each section with ease ! It is easy to see care and attention has been taken even when it comes to the fine details such as background designer, font and even the sound of pages turning ! In Laura Jane's 'About Me' section she explains why she established the boutique "All I want to do is create beautiful clothing, jewellery and accessories that women can feel special and gorgeous when wearing them." Also in this section is the opportunity to browse through Laura Jane's designs and her collection.




No comments:

Post a Comment